Our Minor B1 hurlers survived a late second half Kilavullen rally to emerge victorious by the narrowest of margins, when the sides met in the replay of their quarter-final championship game, at Fermoy, on Thursday evening, last week. The final score-line read Kildorrery 3-11 Kilavullen  2-13.  Kildorrery were forced to line out without Cork minor James Keating, who picked up a serious leg injury in the All-Ireland final, but his Cork minor colleague Ian Butler lined out at mid-field where he put in a most satisfactory hour. These teams’ previous meeting, at Castletownroche last July, was abandoned early in the second half after Kildorrery goalie John Hunter received a serious head injury.  At that stage Kildorrery were 2-9 to 1-7 ahead.

Kilavullen got off to a good start when they got through for a goal inside the first two minutes and had added a point before Kildorrery had their first score, a point from a Cathal Harrington free after five minutes.  Aided by the breeze, in this opening half,  Kildorrery had slipped into a first quarter lead of 0-4 to 0-2.  Three minutes into the second quarter and Cathal Harrington had Kildorrery’s first goal and the same player added a point from a ‘65’, before Kilavullen had their second goal, in the 26th minute to go into a one point lead, 2-3 to 1-5.   However, Kildorrery levelled again from a free.  Again Kilavullen  forced ahead with a point from a free.  An injury time free struck by Ian Butler confused backs and forwards and dropped into the net.   At the break, Kildorrery were 2-6 to 2-4 ahead, but with the breeze to face in the second half.

After the restart, five points, three to Kildorrery and two to Kilavullen in as many minutes saw Kildorrery stretch their lead to three.   But Kilavullen struck back with two points.  Just at the end of the third quarter, Ian pointed a free to leave Kildorrery  ahead 2-10 to 2-8.  From the resultant puck-out, Kildorrery won possession and Sean Cunningham finished a goalmouth scramble to the net for Kildorrery’s third goal.   Kilavullen were far from finished though, and replied with four unanswered points, reducing their deficit to a single point. Deep in injury time, the sides exchanged a point from frees and so Kildorrery advance to the next round.         Kildorrery displayed great heart and a never-say-die attitude in their game with each and every player giving his all.

Team and scorers:  Cathal Walsh-O’Grady, Richard Hurley, Niall Higgins, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, Tony Watson, John Hunter, David Hunter, Kevin Noonan 0-2, Ian Butler 1-2fs, Michael Caplice, Anthony Crowley 0-1, Tim O’Sullivan, Cathal Harrington 1-5(0-2fs, 0-1, 65), Paddy Pigott 0-1, Sean Cunningham 1-0.   Sub.  Paddy Hartnett for T. Watson inj. 57 mins.  



At wind-swept Mourneabbey. last Saturday afternoon, our minor hurlers had to settle for second best to this Churchtown/Liscarroll combination in the semi-final of the championship.  Despite this being their second tough championship game in less than forty-eight hours, they put in a great performance  and cannot be faulted for lack of effort.    Kildorrery with the advantage of the strong wind which blew from one end to the other, had their first point from Michael Caplice in the sixth minute, but only after the winners had registered their first point. Cathal Harrington , two and Michael Caplice again had them 0-4 to 0-2 ahead at the end of the firsts quarter.  With our defence and mid-fielders doing well, we had pushed on into a 0-8 to 0-2 lead before Gaels got their third and last point of the first half.  At the break Kildorrery led 0-12 to 0-3,

Facing into the strong wind after the restart, Cathal sent over a fine point inside the first minute, but this was quickly negative by a like score from the opposition, who now aided by the wind went on to add 1-7 to their tally before Kildorrery had their second point of the half just on the three-quarter hour mark.  It was now Kildorrery 0-14 Granard Gaels 1-10.  The winners continued to use the wind to good advantage sending over 1-4 to Kildorrery’s single point inside the last quarter, the goal being of the lucky variety.  This brought a disappointing end to their championship campaign, especially without the services of the injured James Keating.  Nevertheless, full marks for effort to team and management.  Id

Team and scorers:  Cathal Walsh-O’Grady, Richard Hurley, Niall Higgins, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, Tony Watson, John Hunter, David Hunter, Ian Butler 0-2, Kevin Noonan, Michael Caplice 0-2,  Anthony Crowley, Tim O’Sullivan, Cathal Harrington 0-11 (0-8 fs), Paddy Pigott, Sean Cunningham.  Subs. Paddy Hartnett for R.Hurley inj. (47 mins).  Kieran Hurley for M.Caplice inj. (53 mins).



On this Saturday at Doneraile, our Junior B2 footballers line out against  Kilshannig in the North Cork championship semi-final at 5.30 p.m.   Best of luck to team and mentors!



There was no winner of the €11,600 jackpot when the fortnightly lotto draw was held at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge. The numbers drawn were :  8,16,19 & 21.   Three lucky dip winners of €50 each were:    1. Roisin Kelly, Main Street.  2. Frances Hurley, Ballyanihan.  3.  Pearse Kelly, Scart.   The next draw will be held at Ollie’s Bar this Saturday night when the Jackpot will be €11,800.



After the reading and adoption of the minutes, last Monday’s weekly Club  meeting was adjourned as mark of respect to North Cork Board Runai, John Courtney and family on the tragic death of his daughter.  Ar Dheis De go raibh a h-anam.


The Avondhu, 14th September 2017