This was the disappointing result at the end of our preliminary round in the Intermediate hurling championship, played at Rathcormac, last Friday evening. However, we can take some solace in the fact that five of possibly, our first choice players were unavailable, mainly through injury and so with the back-door system in place, we can still be a force to be reckoned with.

From the throw-in, Eire Og set out as they meant to continue and had three points on the board before the outstanding Michael Walsh, had the first of Kildorrery’s scores, from a free, in the seventh minute. At the end of the first quarter, the winners led 0-5 to 0-2. Kildorrery lacking penetration up front kept in touch, mainly by Michael Walsh’s free-taking and two points from Andrew O’Brien. At the break, they trailed 0-9 to 0-6. Eire Og started the second half as they had the first, with a point within twenty seconds. Again, Kildorrery replied and with points from a Michael Walsh, free and Jamie O’Gorman and had reduced the deficit to two by the 38 th minute. But, by the end of the third quarter Eire Og led by four, 0-13 to 0-9. Points by Jamie O’Gorman and Michael Walsh left just two points between the sides. Then what was undoubtedly, the turning point of the game came in the form of an Eire Og goal in the 50 th minute. They followed this with another two minutes later. Just on the stroke of the 60 th minute, Ian Butler denied the winners another goal with a superb save at the expense of a “65” which was sent over the bar. Jamie O’Gorman had Kildorrery’s last point two minutes into injury time and in the 65 th minute Eire Og’s third goal came after a goal-mouth melee. The hapless Ian had no chance with any of the three shots which beat him.

The final score-line does not truly reflect the effort put in by all the players and all credit to them for their endeavour. 

Team and scorers: Ian Butler, Darren McNamara, Shane Fitzgerald, Cormac O’Baoill, Tom Monaghan, Michael Walsh 0-7(0- 7fs), P.J.Keating, Stevie Coughlan, James O’Sullivan, Dylan Kent, Andrew O’Brien 0-2, Shane O’Neill, Eamonn O’Connor, Wm Fouhy, Jamie O’Gorman 0-3. Subs. Willie Coffey for S.Coughlan, Finbarr Stapleton for D. Kent. 



Tuesday May 9 th . Division 2 Intermediate hurling league V Watergrasshill at Kildorrery 7.30p.m.



The Jackpot of €9,800 was not won when the Club’s fortnightly Lotto draw took place at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge, last Saturday night.

The numbers drawn were: 9, 16, 21 and 25.

Three lucky dip winners of €50 each were:

1. Maura Roche, Farahy Road.

2. Eamonn McCarthy, Kilclooney

3. Joan Pigott, Main Street.

The next draw will be held at Ollie’s Bar, on Saturday May 13 th , when the Jackpot will be €10,000.



Congratulations to Mitchelstown C.B.S. on a great win last week, in the Cork Colleges Senior B hurling final. A special word of congratulations to their trainer, our own Club Cisteoir, Willie Duggan and to the Kildorrery boys involved. They were team captain, Ian Butler, Tony Watson, Dylan Kent, P.J.Keating, James Keating, Cathal Harrington, John Hunter, Michael Caplice, Eoin Fenton, Cathal Walsh-O’Grady, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady.



We extend best wishes for their future happiness to the Runai Cunta of our Club, James Fox and his bride Sinead Boland, who were married recently.



At last Tuesday night’s Club meeting a vote of sympathy was passed to Mrs Emelia Murphy and family, Farahy Road, on their recent bereavement. Ar dheis De go raibh anamacha na marbh.


The Avondhu,4th May 2017