It was disappointment all round when our Intermediate hurlers failed in their bid to defeat Fr O’Neill’s in the replay of the Co. championship final, at Pairc Ui Rinn, last Sunday afternoon. At the end of almost seventy minutes of hurling they finished as runners-up on the final score-line of 1-14 to 1-18. 

From the throw-in, Fr. O’Neill’s set up the first attack, but their effort was wide of the target. At their third attempt they raised their first white flag, after just two minutes of play. Kildorrery’s first score didn’t come until the fifth minute, when Peter O’Brien pointed a free. David Kelly and Peter added another each before Eamonn O’Connor’s shot at goal was deflected out for a ‘65’ which Peter converted to level matters, in the twenty-first minute. Exchanges continued to be fast and furious with both sets of backs coping well. With just two minutes of normal time remaining in the half, Kildorrery were 0-7 to 0-6 ahead, when Shane O’Neill gained possession, from a Sean Kelly clearance and raced through for a goal. 

From the resultant puck-out, O’Neill’s replied with a point. Again , Peter added a point, but in the third minute of injury time the winners were awarded a twenty metre free which was blasted to the Kildorrery net to leave them trailing at the break 1-7 to Kildorrery’s 1-8. After the restart, Wm Fouhy boosted our chances with a fine point within ninety seconds, but we had to wait until the fourteenth minute of the half for our next score, Finbarr Stapleton’s second point. But, by now, the East Cork boys were two points ahead 1-13 to 1-11 and beginning to control the game. Inside the last quarter, they added five points to their tally to Kildorrery’s four, all from frees. And so, Kildorrery’s dream of winning a Co. championship faded for this year, but full credit to them for battling to the final whistle.

While we congratulate Fr. O’Neill’s on their victory, we express our gratitude to all players, management and Physios for dedication to training and preparation and for the hours of enjoyment they gave us during the year. A special word of thanks is due to all the ladies who provided tea and sandwiches for the players after the training sessions and to all who contributed so generously to the Players’ Training Fund.

Teaam and scorers: James McEniry, Sean Kelly, Shane FitzGerald, Cormac O’Baoill, Tom Monaghan, Michael Walsh, Stevie Cooughlan, James O’Sullivan. Finarr Stapleton 0-2, Wm Fouhy 0-1, Peter O’Brien 0-10(0- 8fs 0-1 65), Andrew O’Brien, Eamonn O’Connor, David Kelly 0-1, Shane O’Neill 1-0. Subs. Jerry McCarthy for S.O’Neill (39 mins). Jamie O’Gorman for S.Coughlan (49 mins).



There was no winner of the €7,200 jackpot when the Club’s fortnightly lotto draw took place at Walsh’s Corner House, last Saturday night. The numbers drawn were: 4, 12, 21 and 23. 

Three lucky dip winners of €50 each were:

1. Tom Monaghan, Scart 

2. Carmel Colbert, Cloughleafin 

3. Shane Fitzgerald,, Fermoy Road

The next draw will be held at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge on Saturday November 12th , when the jackpot will be €7,400.



Congratulations to Joan Keating Ballyshonack who was the winner of a €100 voucher for Keane’s Jewellers in the October draw which took place last Friday night.


The Avondhu, 3rd November 2016