Our Minor C footballers disappointed when losing to Trinity Gaels 6-4 to 4-15,in the championship at Doneraile, last Thursday evening. This was a game which Kilodorrery had controlled in the opening half, and at the end of which they led by double scores 2-4 to 1-2. The winners began their come-back from the restart, with two points within three minutes, but Kildorrery replied with two goals in the next four minutes, but failed to score again until three minutes into the last quarter, by which time Trinity had increased their tally to 3-8 leaving them just two points in arrears. From this point to the end, our boys were tiring and Gaels piled on the pressure running out deserving winners on the above score.

Team and scorers: Tony Watson, Niall Higgins, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, P.J.Keating 1-0, Ian Butler 0-1, Paddy Hartnett, Dylan Kent 2-0, Padraig Walsh, Anthony Crowley 2-0 (1-0 pen), John Hunter, Cathal Harrington 1-3 (0-1f), Cathal Walsh-O’Grady. Subs used. Paddy Pigott, Ed O’Connell. Others Sean Cunningham and David Hunter.



At the home venue, last Saturday evening, our Intermediate hurlers made a remarkable and heart-warming recovery in the second half, to score a well-merited five point victory over Milford in the Division 2 league. Playing with the aid of the fresh breeze, in the opening half, Milford looked the sharper side and at the end of the first quarter were 0-7 to 0-4 ahead. Kildorrery, however, did add five points to their tally before the end of the half, but it was the visitors who led at that juncture 1-12 to 0-9. After the resumption of play, Kildorrery began their recovery from the word go. Having won possession from the throw-in, the ball ended up in the Milford net courtesy of Peter O’Brien. Less than two minutes later, Dave Kelly added a point and the margin was down to two . Finbarr Stapleton with a goal put Kildorrery ahead by the minimum. By the end of the third quarter, the winners led 2-16 to 1-17. They continued to drive forward adding six points to their tally, while confining Milford to a single point. It was not so much the winning margin which was so satisfying as the manner in which it was achieved.

Team and scorers: James McEniry, Sean Kelly, Shane Fitzgerald, Cormac O’Baoill, Tom Monaghan 0-1, Michael Walsh 0-1, Stevie Coughlan 0-2, Jamie O’Gorman, James O’Sullivan, Shane O’Neill, Finbarr Stapleton 1-0, Peter O’Brien 1-11(0- 7fs), Eamonn O’Connor 0-3, David Kelly 0-2, Wm. Fouhy 0-2. Subs. Willie Coffey for J.O’Sullivan (inj.). Jerry McCarthy for J.O’Gorman, Darren McNamara for S. O’Neill.



There was no winner of the €6,000 jackpot when the fortnightly draw took place at Walsh’s Corner House, last Saturday night. The numbers drawn were: 1,2,7and 8. Three lucky dip winners of €50 each were:

1. Marie O’Connor, Farahy Road.

2. Martin Curtin, Oaklawn.

3. Pat O’Dwyer, Carhue.

The next draw will be held at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge, on Saturday August 20 th , when the jackpot will be €6,200.



The quarterly 100 Club members’ draw was held at last Monday’s meeting and resulted as follows: €150 Willie Lee, Scart. €50 each to Ned Dwane, Farahy and Tom Thornhill, Oldcastletown.



At last Monday’s weekly meeting a vote of sympathy was passed to the Desmond family, Ballykeating, Glanworth on their recent bereavement. Ar dheis De go raibh a h-anam.


The Avondhu, 11th August 2016