Kildorrery 1-7 Glanworth 3-12

Our Under 21 hurlers succumbed to a strong Glanworth challenge when the sides met in the championship, at Ballygiblin, on Tuesday evening, last week. The final score-line was Kildorrery 1-7 Glanworth 3-12. Once again, our selectors found it difficult to field a team and actually played the first few minutes of the game with fourteen players, until the fifteenth arrived. To add to their woes Darren McNamara was forced off with an injury mid-way through the first half but, after first aid treatment was able to resume his position. While our boys tried might and main, sixteen minutes had elapsed before they registered their first score, a point by Jamie O’Gorman, by which time Glanworth had 2-2 to their credit. Shane Walsh and Dylan Kent had a point each before the break. The winners by now, had increased their tally to 2-5.

Kildorrery started the second half in determined mood, with Shane Walsh sending over two quick points inside the first ninety seconds. Shane Landers and Dylan Kent (free) increased Kildorrery’s tally to seven points by the end of the third quarter. However, at this juncture Glanworth had also added three points to leave them ahead 2-8 to 0-7. They went on to dominate the last quarter, running out deserving winners on the above score. Kildorrery’s goal came from a long speculative ball from Jamie O’Gorman on the right wing which deceived backs and forwards finding its way to the net.

Team and scorers. John Hunter, Tony Watson, John Fitzgerald, Jack Higgins, P.J. Keating, Ian Butler, Shane O’Neill, Shane Landers 0-1, Dylan Kent 0-2, Billy Hedigan, Shane Walsh 0-3, Darren McNamara, David Harrington, Jamie O’Gorman 1-1, David Ryan.



Another disappointing result, but it just about reflected Mayfield’s superiority, particularly, in the second half, when the sides met in the third round of the Co. championship, at Castlelyons, last Sunday. From the throw-in, Mayfield were first to score with a point inside the first minute. However, mid-fielder Shane Fitzgerald, who went on to have a fine hour, sent over the first of his brace of points, a minute later. But it was the city side who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and by the end of twelve minutes were 0-4 to 0-1 ahead. By the end of the quarter, James O’Sullivan had reduced the deficit with a point. Kildorrery did up their performance in the second quarter and by the end of the half were only two points in arrears, 0-5 to 0-7.

After the restart, David Kelly further reduced the deficit with a point in the 33rd minute, but the winners’ reply was their first goal followed immediately by a point and by the end of forty minutes had stretched their advantage to seven points 1-10 to 0-6. Tom Monaghan pointed a free before Andrew O’Brien finished off a Kildorrery attack with a goal. Once again, Mayfield replied with a like score from the resultant kick-out. Just on the stroke of forty five minutes William Fouhy sent over a point. It was now, 1-8 to 2-10. Try as they might, Kildorrery could not pull back the Mayfield lead who went on to add three more points to their tally, while our boys could only manage one from substitute James McEniry. Both sides missed a goal chance in the opening half, but it was Kildorrery who were most wasteful through inaccurate shooting for points.

Team and scorers. Dave Roche, Sean Kelly, Stevie Coughlan, Cormac O’Baoill, Michael Walsh, Finbarr Stapleton, Darren McNamara, Shane Fitzgerald 0-2, Andrew O’Brien 1-0, James O’Sullivan 0-1, Wm Fouhy 0-1, Shane O’Neill, David Kelly 0-2, Peter O’Brien, Tom Monaghan 0-2 (0-1f). Subs. James McEniry 0-1, for P. O’Brien, Jamie O’Gorman for S.Kelly (inj), Eamonn O’Connor for J. O’Sullivan, Dylan Kent for S. Fitzgerald (inj.)

While this marked the end of the championship campaign for players and management the Club acknowledges and appreciates their effort and commitment.



The next fortnightly draw will be held this Saturday night at Ollie’s Bar when the Jackpot will be €5,800.



At last Monday’s Club meeting a vote of sympathy was passed to the nephews, nieces and relatives of the late Alice Hennessy, Spittle, Glenroe, on their recent bereavement. Ar dheis De go raibh a h-anam.


The Avondhu, 21st July 2016