Our Intermediate hurlers just did enough to emerge victorious over Ballinhassig when the sides met in Round 2 of the championship, at Rathcormac, last Friday evening. The final score-line of 1-14 to 1-12 might somehow flatter the losers as their goal came from an injury-time free when the ball was moved closer to goal after the referee reacted to dissent.

The game commenced in a downpour with Kildorrery playing with the advantage of the strong wind and while it was Ballinhassig who made the first attack it was Kildorrery who raised the first flag when Peter O’Brien pointed a ‘65’ in the fifth minute. Ballinhassig replied before  Wm Fouhy edged Kildorrery ahead after nine minutes, to which their opponents again replied. Peter added another before sending in a long ball from the left wing which deceived the goalie and dropped over the line for the goal which was to prove crucial in the end. Another point from a free saw Kildorrery ahead 1-4 to 0-2 at the end of the first quarter. Peter(free), Finbarr Stapleton, Shane O’Neill and Dave Kelly, all added points with the losers adding two to their tally to leave us 1-8 to 0-4 ahead, at the break and facing into the wind in the second half.

Less than three minutes into the second half, Dave Kelly stretched the advantage with his second point, to which Ballinhassig replied immediately, the sides exchanged two points from frees but by the end of the third quarter it was 1-11 to 0-8. Kildorrery’s next score did not come until James O’Sullivan sent over a point in the 51 st minute. Wm Fouhy and Peter  O’Brien (free) completed Kildorrery’s tally with less than a minute of normal time remaining, while Ballinhassig added four points before the afore-mentioned injury-time goal. And so Kildorrery progress to the next round.

Team and scorers: James McEniry, Sean Kelly, Shane Fitzgerald, Jamie O’Gorman, Tom Monaghan, Michael Walsh, John Howard, Stevie Couglan, James O’Sullivan 0-1, Eamonn O’Connor, Finbarr Stapleton 0-1, Shane O’Neill 0-1, David Kelly 0-2, Peter O’Brien 1-7(0- 5fs, 0-1 ‘65’), Wm Fouhy 0-2. Subs. Andrew O’Brien for J.Howard, Cormac O’Baoill for Tom Monaghan, Jerry McCarthy for S.O’Neill, Dylan Kent for S.Coughlan.



Last Monday evening, only sixteen players were available for this Division 2 football league quarter-final game against Glanworth. However, they gave of their best but could not contain Glanworth’s second half performance.

The opening half was evenly enough contested and with less than seven minutes of normal time remaining in this period, the sides were level at 0-3 apiece. A Glanworth goal in the 27 th minute was answered by Kildorrery immediately, with a point, which was the last score

of the half, to leave the winners ahead 1-3 to 0-4. After the restart, the sides exchanged a point inside the first six minutes but by the end of the third quarter, Glanworth had moved into a lead of four points 1-7 to 0-6, and they stretched that further with their second goal in the fiftieth minute. Try as they would, Kildorrery could not pull back this lead and so victory went to Glanworth on the above score.

Team and scorers: Willie Coffey, Ciaran O’Connor, Dave Roche, Pio O’Regan, P.J.Keating 0-2, Luke O’Baoill, Dylan Kent 0-1, Jamie O’Gorman, Fintan Daly, Richie Lillis, Sean O’Sullivan 0-3, James Fox 0-2fs, David Harrington, Sean Walsh, Billy Hedigan 0-1. Sub.used. Sarunas Navasinskas.



When the draws for the next rounds of the championships were made last Monday night, we were drawn against Mayfield in the football and received a bye in the hurling.



The next draw in the Club’s lotto will be held this Saturday night, at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge, when the jackpot will be €5,600.



Congratulations this week to Peg Ryan, Ahacross, who was the winner of a €100 voucher in the Cork G.A.A. Clubs’ draw, last Friday night.



At last Monday’s weekly meeting, a vote of sympathy was passed to the husband, family and relatives of the late Nell Sheehan, Glanworth, on their recent bereavement.

Ar dheis De go raibh a h-anam.


The Avondhu, 7th July 2016