While they failed in their bid to win the Co. championship final, our minor footballers did themselves, their families and their club proud with an outstanding display of grit and determination in the final against Ballingeary, at windswept Ballincollig, last Sunday afternoon. The final score-line read Kildorrery 5-7 Ballingeary 6-9. After a disastrous opening quarter, at the end of which they trailed 0-1 to 4-4, Kildorrery fought back and completely dominated the second quarter reducing their deficit to just two goals at the interval, after playing into the strong wind.

From the throw-in, Kildorrery, for whatever reason, were slow to settle and allowed themselves to be opened up with searing runs by the winners with the hapless Tony Watson in goal, finding himself isolated on occasions. Almost fourteen minutes had passed before Kildorrery had their first score from Paddy Hartnett. At this point, the winners had 3-4 to their credit and added their fourth goal, a minute later. However, Kildorrery suddenly realised they were in a game, took the bit between their teeth and in the twentieth minute Shane O’Neill after a great solo run had his shot at goal saved by the Ballingeary ‘keeper, but David Harrington was on hand to bury the rebound. Two minutes later, with his side now rampant, his brother Cathal added another goal. Points from P.J. Keating, Shane O’Neill(free), Anthony Crowley and Dylan Kent completed Kildorrerys’s scoring for the first half. 2-5 to Ballingeary’s 4-5. Kildorrery were back in business.

Our boys got off to the best possible start to the second half, when Cathal Harrington had the ball over the bar within thirty seconds and the same player added two goals within the next five minutes and Kildorrery were ahead for the first time in the game – 4-6 to 4-5. Ballingeary were not lying down though, and in the eighth minute forced a penalty, the conversion of which restored their lead and they stretched their advantage with another goal, from play a minute later. Anthony Crowley had another point to leave Kildorrery trailing 4-7 to 6-6 at the end of the third quarter. Kildorrery, now, had it all to do. The West Cork boys added two further points, from frees, to their tally before P.J.Keating raised a green flag for Kildorrery in the fifty-first minute which proved to be their last score of the game, while the winners had a point just five minutes from the end to complete their tally.

Once again, as is their wont, this team to a man, gave of their best. While they might have failed to take the honours, their efforts and those of their mentors Brian McNamara, Stevie Kent and Tom Paul Murphy are well appreciated by the Club and supporters.

Team and scorers: Tony Watson, Donal Shinnick, John Fitzgerald, Ian Butler, Darren McNamara, P.J.Keating 1-1, Shane O’Neill 0-1f, Paddy Hartnett 0-1, Dylan Kent 0-1, Anthony Crowley 0-2, Cathal Harrington 3-1, David Harrington 1-0. Sub. Padraig Walsh for D. Harrington. Others. Michael Caplice, Cathal Walsh-O’Grady, Eoin Fenton.



The jackpot of E2,400 was not won when the Club’s fortnightly lotto draw took place at Walsh’s Corner House, last Saturday night. The numbers drawn were: 7,8 15,21. , Three lucky dip winners of E50 each were: 1. Noel Sheehan, Carhue. 2. Eamonn McCarthy, Kilclooney. 3. Diarmuid Murphy, Scart. The next draw will be held at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge on Saturday December 12th, when the jackpot will be E2,600.



Remember, this Friday night is AGM night. All members requested to attend New members especially welcome. Meeting starts at 7.30 p.m.


The Avondhu, 3rd December 2015