This month of April marks another milestone in the history of our Club. On Sunday April 10th 1960 our grounds and playing pitch were blessed and officially opened, so this year we celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of that great event. To mark the official opening, a Senior hurling tournament game was played between Cork and Tipperary with victory going to the Rebels. In October 2017 we officially opened our new 300 seater stand. On that occasion, it was nice to welcome a former Cork hurler who had played on that memorable day in 1960. That gentleman was Noel Gallagher of Youghal, still hale and hearty. He was accompanied by his son John who lives close to the village in Farahy townland and is one of the stalwarts of our Club.
The site which is now Club property, comprised three small fields on the edge of the village and came on sale in 1956 and a special Field Committee was set up to conduct negotiations for its purchase. Having acquired the property, fund-raising was now a top priority. Various events were organised such as raffles and the annual Carnival for a week in the Summer. A major raffle for a Volkswagen Beetle car was undertaken and proved to be a huge success. This venture saw Club members young and not so young travelling to championship matches all over Munster. Places like Limerick, Ennis, Thurles, Nenagh and Waterford were all visited on the occasions of Munster championship games, with great success.
The Club as we know it today, was formed in 1949. Prior to that time there were two clubs in the parish, Oldcastletown and Farahy. In an effort to form one club, a meeting was held but while the new Club was called Kildorrery, the Farahy club continued to exist for some years afterwards. The Oldcastletown junior hurling team had won the Cork Co. championship in 1943. In that year they defeated neighbours Shanballymore in the opening round. They went on to defeat Mitchelstown and won the final over Ballyhea at Doneraile. As Co. champions, they lined out in the Co. semi-final against Midleton at Fermoy and again at Fermoy they defeated the famed Glen Rovers in the final.
Kildorrery’s first victory came in 1952 when they won both North Cork Novice hurling and football championships. Having been promoted to Junior status they had to wait until 1957, when again, relegated, to Novice, they won that North Cork hurling championship. Their next victory of note came in in 1962 when they won the North Cork Junior hurling championship with a repeat performance in 1963. From then, until 2012 they claimed that championship on no less five occasions. Then in 2012, they won the Co. championship, and went on to compete in the Munster semi-final where they lost to Kilkenny’s Thomastown, the eventual champions. Since then, in Intermediate ranks, despite giving very good performances, they have failed to win the championship.
Having won the Co. junior A Football championship in 1978, they went on to contest, though unsuccessfully, the Co. Intermediate Final the following year. However, in 1981 they defeated Glanmire in the final. While they have since reached the finals of 2008 and 2010 they have failed to annexe another victory at this level.
Down the years, the Club has been most fortunate in having exemplary officers and willing members to run the Club in a most efficient manner with dedicated players, ensuring that it ranks with the best in the County.