On Tuesday evening, last week, our Under 21B hurlers compensated for their first round championship defeat to Glanworth with a convincing 0-24 to 0-9 win over the Milford/Ballyclough  combination, St.Kevin’s. Their next outing will be a championship quarter-final against Killara Og.

Kildorrery started this game in determined fashion and had five points on the board before St.Kevin’s opened their account in the tenth minute. However, by the end of the first quarter, the margin was down to a single point, but Kildorrery suddenly recovered and four points before the break saw them ahead 0-9 to 0-5 at that juncture.

After the restart, our boys took control of the game from the off and while the sides exchanged a point within the first two minutes, by the end of the third quarter, Kildorrery led by double scores 0-16 to 0-8. They continued in control forcing their opponents into the concession of frees. In the end they ran out deserving winners on the above score. In the second half, the selectors availed of the opportunity to introduce four of the bench.

Team and scorers: Ian Butler, Timmy O’Sulivan, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, Richard Hurley,
Kevin Noonan, James Keating 0-11(0-8fs), John Hunter, Dylan Kent 0-3, P.J.Keating. David Hunter, Paddy Pigott 0-1, Anthony Crowley 0-1, Sean Cunningham, Cathal Harrington 0-8(0-3fs), Sean Watson. Subs. Kieran Hurley for S.Cunningham(inj.). Pierce Pigott for S.Watson. Tony Watson for T.O’Sullivan. Paddy Hartnett for D.Hunter. Michael Caplice for Pierce Pigott.



This was the disappointing final score-line when our Intermediate footballers played Ballydesmond, in Round 2 of the championship, at rain-washed Kilbrin, last Saturday evening. From the start, even though Wm fouhy opened Kildorrery’s tally after three minutes , it was Ballydesmond who dominated proceedings in the opening quarter, at the end of which they led 0-5 to 0-2. While they stretched their lead with a point, three minutes into the second quarter, Kildorrery took control of the game for the remainder of the half-hour spurred on by a great goal from Tom Monaghan. At the interval they led 1-8 to 0-7.

While it was expected that our boys would resume in the same manner after the restart, it was not to be. In fact, Ballydesmond took over again and by the end of the third quarter had drawn level at  0-12 to 1-9. The sides exchanged a point before the Duhallow boys went ahead with less than five minutes of normal time remaining, but deep in injury time Shane Fitzgerald sent over a great point to send the game to extra time. 1-11 to 0-14.

At the end of the first ten minutes  of extra time, the winners led 0-17 to 1-12, Kildorrery’s point coming from Dylan Kent. Kildorrery did manage to add three points in the second period of extra time but the winners added two to their tally and so advance to the next round.

This was a well contested game played in difficult conditions  and a credit to both sides.

Team and scorers:  Liam Kelly, Richie McEniry, P.J.Keating, Ian Butler, Wm. Fouhy 0-2(0-1 45), Michael Walsh, Cormac O’Baoill, Shane Fitzgerald 0-1, Dylan Kent 0-1, Shane O’Neill  0-7(0-4fs), Peter O’Brien, Cathal Harrington 0-2, Tom Monaghan 1-2, James O’Sullivan, Jamie O’Gorman. Subs. Fintan Daly for R.McEniry (inj. 18 mins). Kieran Hurley for J.O’Gorman  49 mins. Stevie Coughlan for C.Harrington 52 mins.



In this Minor A  hurling championship game played at the home venue, last Monday evening our boys having led from the fifth minute to the end of the third quarter, had to succumb to a last quarter  scoring spree by Buttevant who ran out winners on the above score.

Team and scorers:  Nathan Relihan, Declan Mullins, David Hunter, Conor Kent, Stephen Ryan, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady 0-1f , Timmy O’Sullivan, Richie Hurley 0-2fs, Kieran Hurley 0-1, Fionan Walsh-O’Grady, Sean Cunningham  0-4(0-3fs), Kevin Smith 0-1, Sean Watson, Pierce Pigott 1-1, Cathal O’Sullivan. Sub. Padraig O’Flynn for F.Walsh-O’Grady 55mins.



The 100 Club members draw which was to be held at last Monday’s weekly Club meeting was deferred.  It will now be held at next Monday’s meeting.



The sponsorship of a new set of jersies for our footballers, by Ger O’Sullivan of O’Sullivan Coaches is deemed a very generous gesture and is  very much appreciated.



The next fortnightly club lotto draw will take place at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge on this Saturday night when the jackpot will be €1,400.


The Avondhu, 15th August 2019