It was disappointment for our Under 21B footballers and their supporters after forcing Buttevant to extra time when the sides met in the North Cork semi-final at Shanballymore, last Saturday evening. The final score-line was Buttevant 4-11 Kildorrery 2-10. Far from being a shameful defeat, this was a game which Kildorrery might have won in normal time, but poor finishing cost them a lot of scores, particularly in the first half of normal time.

Kildorrery got off to a great start winning possession from the throw-in and great inter play saw Kieran Hurley finishing to the net within twenty seconds. Less than a minute later, Cathal Harrington had the ball over the bar.  However, Buttevant were quick to respond and after just thirteen minutes of play led 2-4 to 1-1. A minute into the second quarter, Dylan Kent had a Kildorrery point, only to see it quickly negatived by a like score for Buttevant.  Three minutes from the end of normal time, Cathal Harrington sent over a point, but a defensive lapse saw the winners through for their third goal. Kildorrrery did have three points deep in injury time to trail at the break 1-6 to 3-5.

Early in the second half, Cathal Harrington pointed a free while Buttevant’s only score in this second half was a point in the 39th minute.  Kildorrery went on to add two further points to reduce their deficit to a goal with only injury time left.  In a do-or-die effort they were awarded a penalty in the second minute of added time, which Anthony Crowley dispatched to the back of the net and so the game went extra time.

Kildorrery had to line out without the injured Ian Butler for the extra time and within two minutes of play the winners had jumped into a two point lead, but Sean Cunningham pulled one back in the third minute. Unfortunately, this proved to be the last score of the game for Kildorrery, while Buttevant added three more points to their tally.  The only score of the second half was a Buttevant goal from a penalty. While understandably they are disappointed they can console themselves by the fact that, to a man they gave of their best.

Team and scorers:   Tony Watson, John Hunter, P.J.Keating 0-1, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, David Hunter, Ian Butler 0-1, Timmy O’Sullivan 0-1, Dylan Kent 0-1, Anthony Crowley  1-1(1-0p. 0-1f), Kieran Hurley 1-1, Paddy Pigott, Sean Cunningham 0-1, Sean Watson, Cathal Harrington 0-3 (0-1f), Kevin Noonan. Subs. Pierce Pigott for S.Watson. Richard Hurley for K.Noonan. Kevin Noonan for I.Butler inj., Sean Watson for K.Hurley. Michael Caplice for T.O’Sullivan.  Darren Caplice for John Hunter b/c.



On this Saturday, April 13th. our Intermediate footballers travel to Kilbrin where they line out against Knocknagree in the Co Championship at 5 p.m.  We wish team and management the best of luck.



Members are reminded that the draw for the Cavanagh’s of Fermoy sponsored Ford fiesta will take place on Thursday April 18th.  Please return counterfoils, Cash and unsold tickets this week-end.  



The Club’s fortnightly lotto draw will take place this Saturday night at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge, when the jackpot will be €8,800.



Last Monday’s weekly meeting was cancelled as a mark of respect to late Mrs Claire Kennedy, Snug Lodge, Ballyanihan.  Sympathy is extended to her family, her brother, sisters and relatives. Sympathy is also extended to the wife, family and relatives of the late Jim McCarthy, Ballhooly.  Ar dheis De go raibh a n-anamacha.


The Avondhu, 11th April 2019