After a somewhat unsteady start, our Minor B1 footballers found their rythm and having led 1-5 to 0-3 at the break, went on to register a 3-7 to 0-8 over Kilavullen in the North Cork championship semi-final at Mourneabbey last Friday night.  They will now face Clyda Rovers in the final.

From the throw-in, despite winning more than their share of possession, their shooting let them down and it was Kilavullen who opened the scoring with a point in the fifth minute. Kildorrery didn’t open their account until the tenth minute when Timmy O’Sullivan had two  points on the trot. A Kilavullen point from a free had the sides level at the end of the quarter. Kildorrery went on to add 1-3 to their tally, before the break. The goal was the first of a brace from full-forward Eddie O’Regan.

Once again, as in the opening half, our boys seemed a little complacent and Kilavullen had reduced their deficit to two points 0-6 to 1-5 after ten minutes. A Cathal Harrington point from play and Eddie O’Regan’s second goal followed by a point from a free by Anthony Crowley  had Kildorrery ahead 2-8 to 0-6 at the three-quarter hour mark. Kilavullen did go on to send over two more points, but Kildorrery finished on a high with Richard Hurley goal in the thirtieth minute, to put the issue well beyond doubt.

In the fifty-first minute Darren Caplice brought off an inspirational save from close range.

Team and scorers:  Darren Caplice, Niall Higgins, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, Paddy Hartnett, David Hunter, Kevin Noonan, Richard Hurley 1-0, Anthony Crowley 0-2fs, Paddy Pigott, Timmy O’Sullivan 0-2, Cathal Harrington 0-3(0-1f), Kieran Hurley, Sean Watson, Eddie O’Regan 2-0, Sean Cunningham.   Subs. Conor Kent for N.Higgins. Pierce Pigott for S.Watson. Michael Caplice for D.Hunter (inj.)



Bitter disappointment for our Intermediate hurlers and supporters, of course, in the quarter final of the Co. championship, at Rathcormac last Sunday afternoon. Having drawn level late in injury time, Blackrock forced a goal in the thirty ninth minute of the second half to go forward to the semi-final.

In the opening half, in the face of a stiff breeze, Kildorrery were first to raise a flag when James Keating pointed a free in the fourth minute but they failed to score again until the same player pointed another free in the twentieth minute, by which time Blackrock had seven points on the board. Kidorrery did manage two more points, one each from Jamie O’Gorman and James O’Sullivan, before the end of the half. At the break Blackrock led 0-8 to 0-4.

Aided by the breeze, after the restart, James Keating had a point from play in the third minute to which Blackrock replied with a like score before getting through for their first goal a minute later to put them 1-9 to 0-5 in front.  Another pointed free to which the winners again replied. Kildorrery played their best hurling of the afternoon during the remainder of this half and with normal time practically up only trailed by the minimum 0-13 to 1-11. Two more points to one for Blackrock and the sides were level with almost eight minutes of injury time played.  However, our hopes of a replay were shattered when the winners got through for their all-important goal.

Team and xcorers:  Ian Butler, Tom Monaghan, Shane Fitzgerald, Cormac O’Baoill, Sean Kelly, Michael Walsh, Richie McEniry, James O’Sullivan 0-2, Dylan Kent, Jamie O’Gorman 0-1, Andrew O’Brien, William Fouhy, Finbarr Stapleton 0-1, James Keating 0-10(0-7fs, 0-1 65), James McEniry. Subs. Eamonn O’Connor for W.Fouhy (blood).  Eamonn O’Connor 0-1, for Jamie O’Gorman, Shane ONeill for W.Fouhy. Jerry McCarthy for D.Kent. Stevie Coughlan for J.McEniry. P.J.Keating for S.Kelly



The next fortnightly Club lotto draw will be held this Saturday September 29th. at Ollie’s Bar, when the jackpot will be €6,000.



At last Monday’s Club meeting votes of sympathy were passed to the following:  the Keating family Wrensboro’ and relatives on the death of Bernadette Coughlan (nee Keating); the wife, family and relatives of the late Paddy Walsh, Dromleigh, Mitchelstown. Ar dheis De go raibh a n-anamacha.


The Avondhu, 27th September 2018