It was bitter disappointment for our Under 21C footballers and their supporters when the final whistle sounded at the end of the Co. championship semi-final at Mallow, on Thursday evening last week.  They had just been defeated by Donoughmore by the narrowest of margins 1-11 to 1-12. After a rather hesitant start, Kildorrery found themselves five points in arrears after only nine minutes of play.  Their first score came from an Anthony Crowley free in the tenth minute. A minute later they were right back in the game when a Kildorrery attack saw Paddy Pigott place Darren McNamara for a well-taken goal.  Donoughmore replied with a point from a free. Then followed a scoreless ten minutes and the next score was for the winners, also from a placed ball. Paddy Pigott and Cathal Harrington had a point each before Donoughmore had their goal with less than three minutes of the half remaining and this was how the scores looked at the break.  Kildorrery 1-4 Donoughmore 1-7.

After the restart, our boys were again a little slow to get on the score-board and Donoughmore had increased their tally with two pointed frees before Cathal Harrington pointed in the fortieth minute. Points by Anthony Crowley(free), Ian Butler, Harrington(2) and Timmy O’Sullivan saw Kildorrery ahead for the first and only time in the game, 1-10 to 1-9 with just over six minutes of normal time remaining.  Donoughmore replied with two points in quick succession to restore their lead. Anthony Crowley again restored parity from a free, but, with just a minute remaining Donoughmore sent over the decisive point. Kildorrery had chances in the dying seconds but poor finishing let them down. However, while being disappointed they can take some comfort from the fact that they gave of their best all through the campaign.  As well as that, eleven of the panel are still minors.

Team and scorers: Tony Watson, John Hunter, P.J.Keating, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, David , Hunter, Ian Butler 0-1,  Kevin Noonan, Darren McNamara 1-0, Dylan Kent, Kieran Hurley, Anthony Crowley 0-3fs, Timmy O’Sullivan 0-1, Sean Cunninghaman  0-1, Paddy Pigott 0-1, Cathal Harrington 0-4(0-2fs). Sub. Eddie O’Regan for K. Hurley.



Last Sunday afternoon, at the home venue, our Intermediate footballers scored a very convincing win over City side St.Vincent’s, in the Division 4 League.  Having led 2-5 to 0-3 at the interval, they went on to add 1-6 to their tally in the second half, while the visitors could only manage three points.

Team and scorers: Liam Kelly, Ian Butler, Eamonn O’Connor, Liam McGrath, Fintan Daly, Finbarr Stapleton 1-1, P.J.Keating 0-1, Shane Fitzgerald 0-1,  Anthony Crowley 0-1f, Jamie O’Gorman 0-1, Peter O’Brien, Paddy Pigott 0-2, Tom Monaghan 1-2, James McEniry 1-0, Stevie Coughlan. Subs. Richie McEniry for A. Crowley. William Fouhy 0-2, for P.Pigott.  Sean Kelly for F.Daly. David Harrington for S.Coughlan.



Thursday June 28th. Minor B1 Hurling League V Buttevant at Buttevant  7.30 p.m.

Friday June 29th. Division 3 Junior Hurling League V Kilshannig at Kilshannig 7.30 p.m.

Tuesday July 3rd.  Under 21B Hurling Championship V Kilavullen (time and venue to be confirmed)



There was no winner of the €4,600 jackpot when the Club’s fortnightly lotto draw was held at Sheahan’s Hilltop Lounge, last Saturday night.  The numbers drawn were: 1, 5, 7 & 23.

Three lucky dip winners of €50 each were:

1. Maria Noonan, Carrigdownane

2. Shane Fitzgerald, Farahy

3. Joanne Shinnick, Ballyanihan

The next draw will be held at Ollie’s Bar, on Saturday July 7th when the Jackpot will be €4,800.



At last Monday’s weekly meeting, votes of sympathy were passed to the following:  The wife, family, brother, sisters and relatives of the late Tom Keating, Kilbrittain and formerly of Wrensboro’ House;  the Lynch family, Main Street, on the death of Eleanore’s father. Ar dheis De go raibh a n-anamacha.


The Avondhu, 28th June 2018