At Fermoy, in near perfect conditions, last Saturday evening, our Under 21C footballers advanced to the semi-final of the Co. championship with this five point defeat of Whitechurch.  Once again, the adage “ goals win matches” rang true. The first came deep in injury time in the first half when a Shane O’Neill free landed in the Whitechurch goal area and Sean Cunningham was on hand to boot the breaking ball to the net.

From the throw-in, Whitechurch launched the first two attacks and had two points on the board within as many minutes. Kildorrery had to wait until the sixth minute for their opening point from Anthony Crowley.  In these opening minutes the stronger more physical Whitechurch side looked to be marginally the better side. However, Kildorrery settled well and by the end of the first quarter were on level terms at 0-3 apiece and with just four minutes of normal time remaining, the sides were still level at 0-5.  Then came the afore-mentioned goal and this was followed by a great point from P.J.Keating in the thirty-fourth minute, to see Kildorrery ahead 1-6 to 0-5 at the break.

After the restart, Whitechurch forced an early free which they duly converted. Then followed a scoreless period until Dylan Kent kicked over a point in the fortieth minute. The sides exchanged a point and an Anthony Crowley free had the winners ahead 1-9 to 0-7 at the three-quarter hour mark.  Another pointed free to Whitechurch left them 0-8 to 1-9 in arrears, before Timmy O’Sullivan finished off a great movement with the second goal. From the resultant kick-out, Cathal Harrington sent over his second point. This proved to be Kildorrery’s last score of the game, while Whitechurch added three points to their tally.  And so Kildorrery advance to the semi-final, presumably, after the conclusion of the Leaving Cert exams. Kildorrery lined out without their regular goal-keeper, Tony Watson who sustained a fractured ankle in the Avondhu final. His place was taken by John Hunter who was faultless in goal with two brilliant saves to his credit inside the opening minute of the second half.   This was a most whole-hearted performance from this young team who gave of their all to a man and were well-deserving of their win.

Team and scorers:  John Hunter, Paddy Hartnett, P.J.Keating 0-1, Mattie Walsh -O’Grady, Kevin Noonan, Ian Butler, David Hunter, Shane O’Neill 0-2(0-1f), Dylan Kent 0-1, Timmy O’Sullivan 1-0, Anthony Crowley 0-3 (0-2fs), Kieran Hurley, Sean Cunningham 1-0, Paddy Pigott 0-1, Cathal Harrington 0-2.   Subs. Richie Hurley for I.Butler inj. David Harrington for S.Cunningham.



Saturday 26th May.  Div. 4. Intermediate Football league V Kinsale at Kinsale  5 p.m.

Monday  28th. May. Div 2. Junior Football league V  Grange at Kildorrery 8.15 p.m.

Wednesday  30th. May.  Div.2 Junior football league V  Shanballymore at Shanballymore 7.30 p.m.



The Club’s 100 members’ draw was held at last Monday’ weekly meeting and resulted as follows:

1. €200 Tom Thornhill,  Graigue

2. €80    Ned Dwane, Farahy

3. €80    Geraldine Daly, Springvale



The next Club lotto draw will be held at Ollie’s Bar this Saturday night, when the jackpot will be €4,200



Congratulations to our Under 12 footballers and their mentors who defeated neighbours, Glanworth in the North Cork final, at Kilworth, last Monday night.



At last Monday’s weekly meeting, a vote of sympathy was passed to the relatives of the late Tom O’Sullivan,  Glasvaunta, on their recent bereavement. Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.



The club is most grateful to the Community Development Association for the use of their meeting room at Oaklawn.


The Avondhu, 24th May 2018