Unfortunately for our Under 16B2 footballers, they were on the losing end of a ‘marathon’ Co. championship final at Kilavullen, last Saturday afternoon. At the end of close on ninety minutes Newmarket finished winners on the score-line of 3-14 to 3-11.  Kildorrery started well, sending over two points in as many  minutes. However, Newmarket were not long about making their presence felt replying with 1-1 before the first five minutes had elapsed and at the end of the first quarter led 1-4 to three points.  Kildorrery had their deficit to the minimum when Timmy O’Sullivan burst through for a goal in the twentieth minute. The winners responded adding two points to their tally to Kildorrery’s one before the interval.  At this juncture they led 1-6 to 1-4.

After the restart, Newmarket were first to raise a flag and within ten minutes had extended their lead to four points. A Pierce Pigott point had it at 1-5 to 1-8 at the three-quarter mark. Sean Watson finished off a goal-mouth melee with a goal five minutes into the last quarter. Newmarket added four points and looked to be winners but Kildorrery were not beaten and a goal and a point deep in injury time sent the game to extra time.  3-6 to 1-12.

Inside the first two minutes of extra time the winners got through for their second goal of the game .  Sean Watson had a Kildorrery point which was quickly negatived by a like score for Newmarket. Within three minutes of the start of the second period of extra time, the winners had extended their lead with a further 1-1.  To their eternal credit, Kildorrery continued to fight back, adding four points to their tally.  However, it proved to be too little, too late and Newmarket proved the marginally better combination.  Again, this was a whole-hearted performance from each and every one of our players.  While understandably they were very disappointed, they can take some measure of consolation from the fact that they gave it everything and contributed to a most entertaining game of football.  We thank them and their mentors John Hunter, Johnny McCarthy and Peter Watson for their dedication and loyalty

Team and scorers:  Darren Caplice, Declan Mullins, Conor Noonan, David Hunter, Mattie Walsh-O’Grady, Richie Hurley, Tim O’Sullivan 1-2, Kieran Hurley, Pierce Pigott 0-2, Sean Cunningham 0-5 (0-2fs), Sean Watson 1-1, Fionan Walsh-O’Grady, Conor Kent.  Subs. Padraig O’Flynn 1-1, for F. Walsh-O’Grady.  Oisin Fenton for Conor Kent. C. Kent for Pierce Pigott.  Others. Cathal O’Sullivan, Daniel O’Flynn, Padraig Harrington.



Congratulations to Anna Coffey, Kilclooney who was fourth prize winner of €1,500 in last Friday night’s Cork G.A.A. clubs draw.



The next Club lotto draw will be held this Saturday night December 9th at Ollie’s Bar, when the jackpot will be €1,800.



Sympathy is extended to the sisters and relatives of the late John O’Riordan, Meadstown, on their recent bereavement.  Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.


The Avondhu, 7th December 2017